Friday, September 12, 2008

Welcome to Professor Rhetoric's culture&politics happy hour!

So. Blogging.

I have blogging double-consciousness. On one hand, I troll the left-handed politics blogs constantly and even started making a little noise at Talking Points Memo. On the other, I am fairly convinced that the deliberative revolution hope the internet age has brought us is by and large fictive. Additionally, I'm fairly certain that writing one myself is an exercise in solipsism and delusion that sucks time away from what I should be doing--namely teaching and researching.

Yet, the 2008 presidential election has woken up the practical side of me, and I have been thinking recently that perhaps it might be a good idea to step out of the theoretical world and put on a rhetorical critic hat. It's still solipsistic, but at least it's marginally academically defensible.

So, here will be a space for musing on politics, as well as other topics which drift past (favorites being professional football, philosophy, popular science, art, and anthropological observations of a newly Yankee-fied life) all from a humanistic and rhetorical perspective. Enjoy, hypothetical audience--but then again, aren't all audiences imaginary?

PR

No comments: